When you need help with software development, there are lots of options out there: Toptal, Upwork, Hired, Gigster are some of the most well-known alternatives to Moonlight. We are sharing this article as an honest comparison - so please contact us if you notice any inaccuracies.
How Moonlight is different than...
- What they do: Toptal hires developers and designers to work on contract projects at a set rate. Companies start a project and can try up to 3 recommended contractors to work with. The internal team manages contractors and projects. Projects can start and stop from month-to-month.
- How Moonlight is different: As a pure marketplace, Moonlight allows for more flexibility. Developers set their own hourly rate based on skills and experience. Companies can search developers to hire directly, or post a job to get proposals from all qualified candidates. Companies can cancel projects at any time, and switch contractors at any time.
- Main takeaway: Both platforms have vetted, experienced developers. Moonlight is more flexible to hire when you need week-to-week support on projects.
- What they do: Upwork has a network of contractors who are known to be affordable, scrappy, and international. The screening process is minimal, and contractor differentiation is mostly based on hourly rate. Companies post a job and hire based on proposals from contractors.
- How Moonlight is different: Moonlight optimizes for skilled engineers with professional experience. Each candidate is screened by the our technical team based on past experience and skills. We believe that working with experienced developers who have technology experience results in high-quality work and a smoother customer experience.
- Main takeaway: Both platforms are client-managed marketplaces. Upwork is a generic marketplace. Moonlight focuses on experienced, specialized software engineers.
- What they do: Hired is a platform primarily built for hiring full-time employees, but they also support freelancers. They screen candidates with an algorithmic process. Companies search the large database to find the right candidate for their team.
- How Moonlight is different: All Moonlight candidates are screened by our engineers and designers on our team. Companies can search our database, or post a job to get proposals from qualified developers within a day.
- Main takeaway: Both platforms allow companies to hire from the entire network of engineers. Moonlight focuses more on contract jobs, and it tends to be faster for finding and hiring a freelancer. Moonlight allows you to post a job and collect proposals without having to search individual profiles.
- What they do: Gigster provides a full team of developers and designers. Internal project managers manage the developers and designers. Each project has a fixed price based on type of technology and amount of time it will take. Companies use Gigster it to outsource an entire project, not to hire individuals.
- How Moonlight is different: Companies hire developers and designers directly through the Moonlight marketplace. The platform is self-serve, and you get to work directly with developers and designers. Companies use Moonlight to augment their existing development team, and pay by the hour for flexible iteration.
- Main takeaway: Both platforms have vetted, experienced contractors. Gigster is designed to outsource a product. Moonlight is more flexible and allows companies to hire experienced individuals when you need extra developers on your team.